Monday, April 1, 2024

My Daily Vocabulary

 Hello,guys!

Here are the answers to the previous post:

1. fester

2. lurch

3. infatuation

4. jeered

5. confide

6. wheeze out

7. slurred

8. torment

9. doggedly

10. throng

11. corollary

Now it is high time to have some more practice. Enjoy it!!!

ace in the hole

bust

chomp

clavicle

dictum

dweeb

eave

furnace

magnanimous

mundane

parole

pawnshop

regs

smirk

snotty

stale off

vignette

wonky

1. I had a desk beneath the room's other ____, my old Royal typewriter, and a hundred or so paperback books, mostly science fiction, which I lined up along the baseboard.

2. Copying the files had been an infraction of department ___, and the fewer people who knew that the better.

3. There are no bad dogs according to the title of popular training manual, but don't tell that to the parent of a child mauled by a pitbull or a rottweiler, he is or she is apt to ____ your beak for you.

4. Additionally, these families will find, perhaps, some comfort in knowing that Mr. Waits is serving a prison sentence of life without the possibility of ____.

5. As an initial offer of credibility and good faith, he suggests that investigators review the investigation into the death of Daniel Fitzpatrick,63, who was buried to death in his Hollywood Boulevard ___ on April 30, 1992.

6. Olivas ____ as of Borsch didn't see the light.

7. But the bag of carrots was our ___.

8. the whole experience has ___ me.

9. I'm probably being ___ here, but I am also, believe me, honestly curious.

10. If I don't write every day, the characters begin to ____ in my mind-they begin to seem like characters instead of real people.

11. Also, I didn't want to sound like a workaholic ___.

12. he raises his hand and I cringe, ducking my head, waiting for the pain, and in that moment I know that I've done this before, felt this before, but I can't remember when and I don't have time to think about it now, because although he hasn't time, he's placed his hands on my shoulders and he's gripping them tightly, and it hurts s much I cry out.

13. I wrote my first two published novels, Carrie and Salem's Lot, in the laundry room of a doublewide trailer, pounding away on my wife's portable Olivetti typewriter and balancing a child's desk on my thighs; John Clever reputedly wrote in the basement of his Park Avenue apartment building, near ___.

14. I suggest a thousand words day, and because I'm feeling ___, I'll also suggest that you can take one day a week off, at least to begin with.

15. Whether it's a ___ of a single page or an epic trilogy like The Lord of the Rings, the work is always accomplished one word at a time.

16. It surrounds me, keeps the  ___ world out.

17. If he does know, I assure you that sooner or later he'll start showing up, ___ his cigar and making his magic.

18. The ___ in writing classes used to be "write what you know".

19. It's morally ___, for one thing- the job of fiction is to find the truth inside the story's web of lies, not to commit intellectual dishonesty in the hint for the buck.





No comments:

Post a Comment